It’s official, and there’s no disputing it this time: Emmett has totally made me the happiest mom ever, saying ‘mamma’ for the first time while we were sitting on the couch last Friday night watching TV. Okay — so I may have prompted him to say it, but now he’ll say it without question whenever I ask him to, and it’s the best feeling ever. I literally melted the first time he said it. Who knew something so simple would make my night? Anyway, if you don’t believe me, here’s the proof…
This is huge, considering he’d started saying complicated words like ‘purple’ before ‘mamma,’ and I’d starting thinking he and James were playing some kind of crude practical joke on me. Are kids younger than age two even capable of making practical jokes? The jury’s still out. Next stop: saying ‘mamma’ without being prompted.
Age Timer: 22 months
It may have taken Emmett a little bit longer than others his age to jump on the talking bandwagon, but it seems he’s hit quite a turning point recently. Starting to speak in full sentences and mimicking almost anything we say (EXCEPT any form of ‘mom’ — can you tell I’m bitter?), his favorite new question is, “Where did they/it/he go?” He’s even got the hand motions down pat!
See for yourself in this recent video from Nana and Gran-D …
I couldn’t be prouder of his growing vocabulary!
Age Timer: 21 months, 2 weeks
Admittedly, a lot of my free time lately has been taken up by wedding planning (awesome for me, not so great for my blog readers). I’m sure any mom understands this, but having a kid (or kids) makes it extremely difficult to find time to do everything you wish you could. Luckily, I’ve been able to motivate myself to squeeze running into my schedule (I used to be a pretty dedicated runner before I got pregnant), and as I said, with the wedding planning, unfortunately my blog has taken a back seat. Not that I’m going to convert my blog into a place for wedding chatter in any sense, but for those interested, the wedding planning is going along quite swimmingly. We have the venue, the date, the officiant, a wedding website and I even found the dress!
I’ve partially justified my lack of blogging by the fact that Emmett isn’t hitting the milestones as freqently as he did as a baby. Still, there have definitely been some developments:
- He’s been all about the babbling for quite some time, but he has also been slightly behind on his vocabulary. Lately though, he’s really been excelling on the talking front. He can now say hi, bye, dad, one, two, blue, choo choo, ball, wow, wee and eye. Am I forgetting anything, James?
- He’s developing quite a little sense of humor. He fakes sneezes when we sneeze, and he’s just a goofball in general.
- He loves to dance. Like — loves it. He dances whether or not there’s music, and I’m pretty sure he’s already a better dancer than I am. This kid’s got moves. I can’t wait to catch him on video.
- He now weighs about 28 lbs, and he’s half an inch shy of 3 feet tall.
- He likes to swim. We’ve been taking parent-toddler swim classes at the Fitness and Recreation Center at Boston University, and he’s definitely a fan.
Also, can you believe Emmett is already a year and a half old? It’s unreal …
Age Timer: 18 months, 3 weeks